Leading Off (10/9/08)

1. From the Dept. of Wow That Was Fast: “An organization attempting to block construction of a publicly owned Dallas Convention Center hotel will submit Thursday nearly 60,000 petition signatures to City Hall – an action almost assuring a citywide referendum on the facility come May.” I should have had those guys work on my mayoral campaign.

2. Adam Jones allegedly revives his old Pacman days, allegedly punching his bodyguard at the Joule early yesterday morning. Allegedly. Between T.O. being kinda-sorta mad about his role in the offense, Pacman (allegedly) making it rain fists, Wade Phillips regularly looking over-matched, opposing receivers running uncovered through the secondary, and Tony Romo’s inopportune turnovers, it’s like a greatest-hits set. Jerry is even thinking about bringing back one of his old faces.

3. State to DISD: “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa. Hold on. Don’t drag us into this.”

Newsletter

Find It

Search our directories for...

Restaurants

Restaurants

Bars

Bars

Events

Events

Attractions

Attractions

Comments

15 responses to “Leading Off (10/9/08)”

1. Tim Rogers says:

Is it just me? My first thought about the alleged Pacman fracas: the Joule has made it. No one got killed or anything. Just a high-profile professional athlete allegedly going at it with his Cowboys-appointed handler. That’s sexy good-times PR.

2. Is it just me? My first thought about Ron Natinsky saying they were going ahead with the hotel despite the inevitable May referendum was, you know, good luck with that whole “selling bonds thing in this economy, with investors knowing you have a deal-killing vote looming.”

3. OneArtDirector says:

Am I the only one who thinks Jerry’s old face looks better than the one he has now?

4. Brian says:

is it just me? or is it somebody else?

5. DGirl says:

It isn’t just you, it’s me too. Apart from the really bad dental work shown here, Jerry looked so much better before all of the plastic surgery. He always looks like he’s in a wind tunnel.

6. Joe says:

Wasn’t there a fight in the bar of the Ritz during its opening months? Now the Joule has celebrity brawl just days after it opened. Is this a new type of launch event for hotels?

7. Tom says:

It’s not you. It’s me.

8. Puddin'Tane says:

The underlying essence of Trailer Park that is Dallas. Jones keepin’ it realer y’all!

9. Nathan says:

Zac, the thing is, Dallas voters actually don’t want a hotel.

10. Bethany says:

So basically, 60,000 people signed for the turn down service?

11. Zac Crain says:

@Nathan: I was making a joke at my own expense. But thanks.

12. Nathan says:

@Zac: Cheer up sunshine! With the recession economy and credit market threatening to kill both the CC Hotel and the Trinity Toll Road, do you really want to be sitting in Tom Leppert’s chair right now anyway?

13. ROJ says:

If Zac were Mayor none of those things would have been moving forawrd as he is not dumb enough to push postcard projects through to benefit BELO, construction buddies, or whoever it is that is pulling the strings attached to the large hands of Leppert.

14. wes mantooth says:

Is it just me, or how can the Pacman Jones story be all over the news and nobody — nobody — is seeing the comic possiblity here? His bodyguard was in the john “making it rain” and Pacman busted him up? If I were Pete Delkus and I were forecasting precipitation, I’d be on the lookout for Pacman Jones.